Friday 20 April 2012

Medlar

 

IMG-20120324-00210

Looking out through the rain right now – unbroken vertical rods punctuated with waves of lacy mizzle, since you ask - it seems hard to imagine that about a month ago summer was on the doorstep. Easier to imagine, regrettably, that since then I haven’t managed to scribble even so much as a bleat about how much I loved meeting (and eating of course – but mostly MEETING) the beautiful food that we were presented with one sunny Saturday lunchtime at Medlar. The BSG and I strolled down there through the park on a golden morning beneath clouds of pale blossom, thinking that life possibly couldn ‘t get any better on such a day.

I am definitely a substance over style girl when it comes to grub, but in this instance, I admit I was bowled over. Luckily, it tasted as good as it looked.

Perhaps its because I have been doing some exciting things recently (they call it work, apparently) with lots of wonderful people who make, scribble, style and shoot food for a living - with mouthwatering results - that the art of food has taken on extra resonance… Or perhaps its because I don’t have proper time to sit and pen a proper few paragraphs… Whatever the reason, I will leave you with a few pictures from a lovely, early summer lunch, with wonderful friends, washed down with a pale Provence rose.

Just this once here are the pics with not much else, because food this pretty spoke for itself (even with my terrible phone mugshot plate-shots). S’pose we’ll just have to go back…for research.

IMG-20120324-00211

Crab raviolo with brown shrimp and samphire. Gosh – that bisque...

Kensington and Chelsea-20120324-00212

Halibut with trompettes, scallops, cauliflower bits and Bayonne ham

Kensington and Chelsea-20120324-00214

Rhubarb pannacotta cheesecake with crumble (yes all at the same time – genius!)

Kensington and Chelsea-20120324-00213

Neil’s braised octopus – it looked amazing (the German word is Futterneid, I believe…)

No comments:

Post a Comment